Here are six brutally honest reasons you cannot afford to sell your house on your own:
- You’re not thinking with your head. Remaining level-headed throughout a real estate transaction is hard because it’s a naturally emotional process. If a potential buyer comes into your house to take a look and offends your decorating style or tries lowballing you, do you think you could handle it?
- You probably think your house looks fine as it is. While your house may look amazing, a lived-in property isn’t going to wow buyers. Here is where the difference in hiring a real estate agent really starts to show up. They can help you de-personalize your home to attract the right buyer.
- You have no sense of smell. After living in your house for a long time, you tend to go nose-blind to certain odors. You might think your home smells fine when it actually smells like Dumbledore’s beard — no offense.
- Formica countertops went out of style in the 60s. A dated kitchen will not only affect your sales price, but it might prevent you from getting any offers at all. A Realtor is keenly aware of what’s popular in today’s market and can give you tips on how to update your kitchen.
- You have no network. Real estate agents know thousands of people and hundreds of fellow real estate agents. It’s that kind of advantage that gets your home sold quickly, effectively, and for top dollar.
- You’ll lose money. According to the National Association of Realtors, homes sold by the owner almost always sell for less than those sold by an agent. If you’re selling your home by yourself, you’re looking to save money. The problem is, so is the buyer. Knowing that you’re selling the home by yourself, they’re going to try negotiating a lower price than they would if they were dealing with an agent. When both sides are fixated on saving costs, it’s a recipe for stagnation.
If you are thinking of selling your house, we recommend hiring a professional real estate agent. That way, your home sale will be successful and you will net more money. If you have any questions about selling your home or about anything else in real estate, give me a call or send me an email. I would be happy to help you!